We usually design wedding albums for our couples. Just as we don’t outsource photo editing, we don’t outsource album design either. We only shoot a small number of weddings each year and spend most of our time creating the best customer experience for each and every one of our couples. Not outsourcing anything is also a great way to guarantee quality, fast turnout, and style consistency.
Here is what our album design process looks like:
1. We offer two Signature Albums, all featuring unique designs and coming in different sizes. When couples book us for their wedding, they typically pre-order an album with a particular design and size (and they’ll have the opportunity to upgrade later.)
2. After we’re done with culling and editing all the photos from your wedding which typically takes a few weeks, we’ll select the ones that we think you’ll absolutely love AND tell a complete story of your wedding day, draft a design, and send you for feedback. We use cloud proofing, so you’ll be able to view the album proof in the comfort of your home and at your convenience. The album proof is password-protected.
3. By this time you should have received a link to your online gallery. When you log in with the email address that you provided us, you’ll be able to see all of your wedding photos in multiple folders, order prints and canvases, and pick out your favorites. We recommend that you start with the “Highlights” folder.
4. When you receive the link to the proof, an account should have already been created for you. All you need to do is log in and create a password. In case you want second opinions from friends and family, guest accounts can be created as well. You’ll be able to flip through the entire album (as you do with a physical album except that you’ll be doing it with a mouse or a keyboard, a feature that I love the most) and write down your thoughts in the comment box as you go along. You can comment on an entire spread, explaining on how you would like the layout to be changed. You can also remove or replace any photo on a spread. To do this, simply click on the photo and you’ll see an enlarged version and a comment box for that photo only. To replace a photo, explain which photo you would like to use instead; you can describe the photo, or write down the file name (each photo in the gallery is uniquely named and you’ll be able to see the file name when you download it to your computer).
5. There are usually two rounds of revision. When you receive the first draft, this is when you’ll be spending more time thinking about the overall design, the number of spreads that you need to tell the story of entire wedding day, the layout of a particular spread, which photos you would like to include in the album and which ones you would rather not, etc. (To help you with the process, read this blog post that I wrote on common album design mistakes and a few quick tips for a clean, elegant, and timeless look.)After we receive your feedback, we’ll make major revisions and send you the second draft. This draft should be pretty much what the final album will look like. If you think everything looks perfect, go ahead and approve the design. If you want make minor tweaks here and there, you’ll be able to do that too and we’ll send you the final draft for you to approve.
6. When the design is finalized and approved, it will be sent to the lab.
7. Your album should be ready within a couple of weeks. We’ll have it shipped to us, do a quick inspection to make sure everything looks good, package it nice and pretty, and then send it your way.
8. When you receive the album, make sure everything looks the way it should; if not, just let us know and we’ll take care of it.
9. We strongly encourage you to open a bottle of champagne, sit down with your beloved, and relive the best moments of your wedding day. It’d be even better if you want to throw a party and invite friends and family; joy is better shared. We’d love to share your excitement too. Simply snap a picture with your phone, share it on social media, and tag “Choice Jade Photography.”
I hope this answers some of the questions you might have about our wedding album design process. If you have any questions, we’re simply a message away.